Banana Streusel Coffee Cake

Once again, after a visit from the grandkids and their parents, we have some bananas left over.  The kids would have taken them home actually, but I had been thinking of this recipe for awhile, so I was happy to have them sit and ripen a few days on the counter.  Don’t ask me how it is that though neither of us cares for bananas eaten out of hand, we both love baked stuff with bananas, but it is true.  This coffee cake turned out exactly how I had pictured it – moist and dense and rich.  The topping gets all nice and chewy around the edges, and baking it in small loaf pans ensures you have lots of edges.

Begin by greasing 4 small loaf pans and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
3 or 4 very ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk

I used my stand mixer, but a hand mixer will work just fine. Cream the butter, beat in the sugar and eggs, then the bananas and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients, and add to the butter mixture. With the mixer running, add the buttermilk, and mix until completely combined and smooth – a minute or so at medium speed.

Prepare the topping by mixing together
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
It will form nice big crumbles.

Fill each prepared pan about 1/3 full and divide half of the topping among the 4 pans. Fill with remaining batter, and top with remaining streusel. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes, loosen the edges and carefully remove from the pans. You may lose a bit of the topping when you are doing this bit, but you have my permission to eat that yourself – it falls under the heading of quality control, a vital part of any baking project. Cool a bit more and then slice to serve. You can dust the slices with a bit of confectionary sugar and serve with butter, but it truly doesn’t need a thing, with the possible exception of a nice rich cup of coffee or tea. It tasted even better the next day, as the flavors had deepened and blended by then. You can reheat it before serving if you like.

This entry was posted in Cakes, Coffee Cakes, recipes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Banana Streusel Coffee Cake

1. Gina says:

Mmmmm, edges are my favorite!

2. Anna B says:

Looks yummy Dlyn!

I’ve been popping whole banana’s skin and all into the freezer. When I make something requiring banana’s I pull however many out of the freezer, let them thaw, and use per recipe directions.

Works perfectly!

3. Louise says:

Oh my, will you still have some of that when I arrive on Friday?
    Yum!

4. Emma says:

Oh my this is right up my alley. I love banana bread and streusel on top just makes my day!

5. Donalyn says:

Me too Gina!

Anna – I’ve heard of that before, but haven’t tried it yet. Ingenious!

Louise – there is one in the freezer still, but, I am thinking something chocolate for your visit …

Emma – streusel makes everything better ;)

6. Hi, I followed the link from Dessertstalking to this blog and was startled to see that your last name is Ketchum (as is mine…my married name). Just wanted to comment on that, and thank you for hosting dessertstalking and publishing some of my pictures!
    And I agree, streusel makes everything better!

7. Donalyn says:

Thanks Carolyn – who knows, we may be distant relatives. By marriage of course, since Ketchum is my married name as well. And thanks for your contributions and kind words about DessertStalking!

8. Maria says:

I can’t wait to make this one! Great recipe!

9. megan says:

Looks like a winner to me! I love the crunchy topping.

10. Donalyn says:

Thanks Maria and Megan – I appreciate it!

11. Oh, I’m SO making this for Thanksgiving this year. It looks so darn good! And I bet that topping would pretty much make any bread (pumpkin, zucchini, etc) insanely delicious. Can’t wait to make it and thanks for sharing!!!! Or, my stomach thanks you, my hips not so much.

12. Donalyn says:

Hey PJ – nice to see you around. This sounds like a great addition to T-giving to me!

13. Ashley says:

One question? On the topping did you mean to say 1 cup of all purpose flour? I used your direction for sugar and ended up with carmel on my bread…

14. Donalyn says:

Hi Ashley – I am so sorry – you are correct. It should have been 1 cup all purpose flour.

15. Jackie says:

Hi

When you baked these cake did you put the pans directly on the oven racks or did you put them on a baking sheet.

16. Donalyn says:

Right on the racks, Jackie.

17. Judy says:

Confused Do you use one cup of flour and one cup of sugar for the topping.Was confused with Ashley’s comment

18. Donalyn says:

Yes Judy – I corrected the amounts in the recipe. Sorry for the confusion.